Tuesday, March 18, 2008

blind vs deaf...blind in a second

Live music never ceases to amaze me. I get a different experience everytime I go to a concert. March 17th finally came and a big group of Montgomerians(?) made the short drive to Birmingham for the sold out Hotel Cafe Tour at Workplay featuring Eliot Morris, Ingrid Michaelson, Cary Brothers, Joshua Radin, Allie Moss, and Sara Bareilles. The format of the concert was really different. Each performer came on stage and did about 3 songs then someone else would come up. This worked out really well because you never got tired of listening to anyone. They did this for about 3.5 hours. It was a jam-packed concert. Everyone's favorite song was a song by Ingrid called "The Chain." Ingrid said she wrote it to be sung in rounds with 3 girls so Sara and Allie sang it with her. She said Sara had just learned it 3 hours before. It was amazing.

They had a pretty eclectic house band too. The bass player (Johnny Flowers) was probably the funniest person to watch. Jason Helton and I laughed at his facial expressions so hard that we cried. He was tall, skinny, and his arms was extremely veiny. I think he realized we were laughing at him and he seemed to be playing in spite of us. Every note he played looked angry and hurtful. I put his name so hopefully whoever reads this will find him on YouTube one day and laugh till it hurts.

And while I'm talking about the concert, Cary Brothers does not have brothers that play or sing with him, at least not last night anyway. For the longest time I thought Mom and Pop Cary concieved a talented collection of musicians. All of this confusion could have been avoided by just not putting "The" on the front of Cary Brothers. And as I noticed last night, it all depends on the stress you put on Cary Brothers. The MC last night was so clear in his enunciation that a small child would have known that he was talking about one person named Cary Brothers. I wonder if gigs pay him more for the "brothers" that he doesn't have just because they were misinformed... or maybe its just an elaborate marketing idea. I need to take notes. (The ) Cary Brothers, you are genius.

1 comment:

susan said...

Oh how jealous I am of you for attending that concert! I loved 'the chain!' it would've been my favorite too, I'm sure.