Tuesday, April 8, 2008

My brokeded heart

As some of you know, I had a bit of a minor heart surgery done this past Thursday morning at UAB. I can hear you saying to yourself, I didn't know heart procedures could be minor. On the contrary my friend, this procedure was not really a big deal with the modern technology we benefit from. It is called Radiofrequency Catheter Ablation. You can read all about it until your heart's content right here. My doctor in Montgomery suggested that I go to UAB to have it done because they have the best doctors and equipment. That was good enough of a reason for me.

Dad, Mom, and I headed up to Birmingham Wednesday after work and spent the night with Nana and Granddaddy. Nana had prepared a feast for us. Fried pork chops, potatoes, carrots, fresh corn, broccoli casserole, rolls and homemade apple turnovers were waiting for us when we got there. We ate and visited for a while then called it a night because we had to leave by 5 am. I tossed and turned all night. Obviously there was a lot on my mind. Dad said he didn't sleep well because he keep thinking he was going to sleep through the alarm.

We got up on time and made it to UAB by 5:30. We only waited about 15 minutes before a young, attractive dark skin girl asked me to follow her. As we where walking down the hall, I kept thinking, please don't let this be the girl that tells me to strip. As she pointed me to the room and started the walk away, I thought I was in the clear. "Strip and lay on the bed" she said as she walked away. That's my luck. I don't think I've ever had an attractive nurse until this day. I had no problem with Two Ton Tina prepping me for surgery but not this girl. She was married, but still.....awkward.

The prepping conversation was interesting and definitely too graphic for mixed company blog viewing but it was not what I expected. All I'm going to say is that catheter was inserted in the groin region, and that's all I'm saying. After I was prepped, mom and dad came in the room, we met my doctor, Tom McElderry, and we waited until they took me back for surgery.

The next thing I remember was waking up and Kyle Bedgood comes in the room with a get well balloon and 4 Arby's shakes for everyone. I think he said his wife ran over his parent's dog but I'm still not sure because I was a little groggy. I had to lay still for six hours and by around 4:00 we were able to leave.

I took it easy during the weekend and was able to go to the gym Monday night. I ran for a while and got my heart rate up but it never went into supersonic mode like it used to. Some people have to go back for surgery if it continues to happen but I think I'm healed. I've had to deal with this since I was a freshman in college so I am extremely relieved and thankful. I know that God was watching out for me and I had a ton of good friends and even strangers that were praying for me.

So...long story short, I'm healed and I challenge anyone to a footrace! GO!

No comments: